THE FORGOTTEN ROUTE TOUR TO MEITJIESFONTEIN
The true story of a forgotten route from early explorers into the wild undiscovered, REAL South Africa.
It’s now a journey that you can experience…
Depart from Cape Town on a two day adventure into the Karoo with the legendary Trans Karoo train, visiting iconic landmarks, and Anglo-Boer battle regions.
Experience true SA culture and share stories with local winemakers & musicians of the Karoo plains.
Taste the local produce, drive through majestic mountains and sense the weird and wonderful of THE FORGOTTEN ROUTE.
Priced from R1475.00 per person per night sharing. (+R250 for single)
- Follow in the footsteps of early explorers, where we visit some of Cape Town’s iconic land marks of a by-gone era and hear their stories.
- Then depart the mother city as lords and ladies, on the legendary route through to Worcester and visit the unique Kirabo wine farm, meeting wine makers and tasting the local wine and culture.
- From here we go forth on an epic train journey through stunning mountains and the plains of the Karoo..
- Arrive in the desert - oasis town of Matjiesfontein with your guide escorting you to the historic Lord Milner Hotel. Take some time to explore this town that's frozen in time.
- At 6 PM we all meet for Matjiesfontein’s bizarre & historical bus tour.
- Traditional Karoo lamb braai (BBQ) under the stars for supper. With your bellies filled, your guide takes you on an odd night stroll of the of the weird and wonderful, followed by guided stargazing.
- After you admired Jupiter’s moons in Karoo’s clear night sky, we return to the Lairds Arms Pub for some Honkey - Tonks sing-a-longs around the old piano.
- The next morning, after a hearty breakfast we head back via scenic passes to sample local culture and history. Enjoy some biltong and wine pairing in the middle of nowhere. We have lunch just outside the historic and quaint town of Montagu and visit a old Anglo- Boer war fort.
Lazy and happy we make our way to be back in Cape Town at 5 PM.
Inclusions & Exclusions
What it includes:
- Supper on day 1 and Breakfast on the 2nd morning.
- Short guided walk of Cape Town’s history.
- All entrances. Return transport.
- Train ride into the desert Karoo.
- Old war sites & Bizarre local bus tour
- Accommodation in twin/double room.
- Bizarre night walk, guided stargazing, and live local music.
- Wine tasting of the local area.
- Typical SA towns: Worcester, Matjiesfontein, Montagu. Qualified guide.
A memorable experience unlike any other of the true South Africa.
*Tour Departs Fridays. Other days on request.